Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Writing Year


A Writing Year


November 1st proved a celebration of sorts for me.

Last year on that day I began a process of writing a novel that thirty-one days later resulted in completion of the first full novel draft I’ve ever completed.

I’ve been writing since age ten, but over that long period I’d not put together a coherent story of any substantial length or a collection of poetry that felt comfortably ready for a committed revision effort. This after countless writing work-shops, visits to various writing centers, on-line fiction courses, and successful completion of a three-year university level MFA program.

I’ve written a lot but haven’t brought anything I considered worthwhile to a point where I believed it was ready to polish for prime time.

All that changed on November 30, 2012 with the arrival of that First Draft of “my” Novel. Laying the keel for that manuscript began on November 1st when I participated in NaNoWriMo.

Here’s the link to NaNoWriMo for those who aren’t familiar and may wish to participate at some point. 


This year, on the eve of NaNoWriMo 2013, I was less fearful then last year and more aware of the writing muscle that was going to be required for the month. I knew that Id have to place myself each day in my writer’s chair and hit keys that tell a story. I’d have to set word targets and trust that as I wrote the story in my head would take form on the page.

Looking back over the year since my first NaNo effort it became clear why last year’s experience was so critical to my overall work as a writer. In explaining why that’s so it’s probably best to lay out the schedule of events—happenings that took place after November 31, 2012.

Mid-December 2012: I picked up my completed novel draft for the first full read-through I had deliberately avoided any back reading in November as the days progressed and the word count grew over the month. Each day when I reached my word count quota I left the work behind. I returned to my non-writing life and tried hard to forget the day’s experience. It took some doing and I wasn’t adept at detaching for about a week or longer, but once I learned, that sense of freedom and enthusiasm for the next days’ effort increased and was intoxicating.

The Mid-December read-through made clear that significant change needed to take place, but the manuscript had a story that I liked, and the story had a beginning, middle and an end. There was tension on the pages and the two main characters had won me over completely. The sense of a whole was real, and I felt proud.

Mid-January 2013 through Summer2013: At Grub Street Writing Center in Boston a colleague convinced me to play with another genre (I’m a fiction writer) for a break from the work of November and together we joined an Introduction to Screenwriting course. I chose to adapt my NaNo novel—such as it was then—as a course project.

The script results over the next 10 weeks (and a follow-up 10 weeks of Advanced Screenwriting) resulted in a burgeoning (read, very fat,) but incomplete script.

In mid-summer I spent two weeks in Western Mass at ‘the’ perfect Writers’ retreat in an atmosphere of quiet and monk-like living circumstances. Other writers nearby were as committed to completing works as I was, but social interactions were minimal. The countryside was lovely; silences had great quality and time passed slowly. I wrote, adding to the work of the two ten week screenwriting courses.

Following that experience I consulted with a Grub St. Counselor and received more input on the work. Additionally, several of my Grub St. colleagues gathered informally for several weeks to review and critique each other’s scripts.

The script, now waiting further revision, involves some cutting trimming. It is as whole today as is the novel draft. More important, my screenwriting work exposed flaws in character development in the story and saw the emergence of a powerful female character as a major force in the novel and the script.

During the year I had medical issues that resulted in a number of surgeries. Though the recovery periods cut into writing time with medications fogging my thinking and physical therapy aggravating my solitude-obsessed need, I did not lose hope that I’d get back to work. Eventually I returned to the screenplay and in addition I dusted off a short story I’d written years ago and that I’ve loved since.

In autumn my daughter married and though that event proved joyous, it was time consuming. The wedding couple and my spouse performed the lion’s share of the work required and I was able to write more than I expected.

In autumn I worked with an editor I respect and have total confidence in and I have revised that short story I love. The experience was rewarding and I’m confident that the revision and editing still waiting for me (after NaNo II) will result in a work I’ll be happy to share with others.

Today I’m immersed in my second NaNoWriMo experience. The experience has been as magical and time-consuming as last year’s. A story is taking shape where none existed on October 30th. Though it’s tough to say exactly where that story is in terms of completion I’m confident that I will have a first draft novel (again) on November 30 of this year.

So, as I look back, I see an amazing year of collaboration, of solitary writing experience, of writing milestones aimed at and reached, and a growing confidence in myself with the craft that I love.

I’ve had lots of help along the way –NaNoWriMo buddies, my colleagues and professional help at Grub St., Screenwriting formal (and informal) friends and colleagues, editors, guides, and amazing writer friends. My family has given me nice space and excused my absences as well.

I’m looking back at a year of writing accomplishments; had someone pointed out all that would occur since I sat down at that first NaNo blank page – how much I would grow – I  would have scratched my head in disbelief.

I’m grateful.

Keep writing!

ps: I’ve got to get back to my NaNoWriMo novel draft.





3 comments:

  1. i'd say you accomplished quite a lot in the past year. i'm not sure i've ever written something, then walked away without rereading. i think i'm very much an edit as i write kind of girl, always going back and changing, moving, deleting. i like hte idea of 'leaving it as is' for the time being. i wrote a full lenth screenplay for my senior thesis in college. being in the business that i am, i'm not sure that i've really done any 'writing for writing's sake' in a VERY long time. it always has a purpose - promoting and marketing my clients whether ad copy, press releases, marketing kits, web copy, etc. it's been a very long time since i've even written a poem, which i used to do on a regular basis. something to think about. please excuse my ee cummings laziness as i type. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I appreciate that you took the time to read the blog. When I started out 'writing' 2005 after I'd been out of work for more than a year I had an unspoken dream that it would prove to be a path to income but I was quickly convinced that wasn't going to happen soon, if at all. Now I've dropped the dream and focused on the words on the page. I love your comments -- I believe that each of us has a process and that those who try to talk is off that process, unless it's killing us, aren't doing us a great service. Yours reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut so you're in great company. I LOVED him. When the sheriff is at the door I suppose I'm going to have to come up with a way to make $$$ but for now I'm writing to get it out and hang out with fellow travelers. Best, Bobby

      Delete
  2. We need a "Like" button here!! Great read!

    ReplyDelete

My Cousin Jerry

Some time ago I read, "God gives us memories so we may have roses in December." -- James M. Barrie.   You and I would have forced ...